Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Funeral Rolls "Not Just For Funerals Anymore"

This is a recipe I've been meaning to share with you since Christmas Eve. I know, I know, that was a while ago. I contemplated just holding onto it until next Christmas but, what's the fun in that?

My friend B had been making these rolls on Christmas Eve for a few years before I realized that I had the recipe for them in one of my very favorite cookbooks. They are called funeral rolls, but as you can see even the recipe in the cookbook points out that they're "Not just for funerals anymore."

We have a big family game night on Christmas Eve and serve finger foods. I started bringing these about three years ago and they have been requested every year since.


I always make two pans of rolls when I make this and I vary the recipe a bit from the printed one above. I will include my changes in the steps below.

I use the Colonial pull-apart rolls to make these. I am sure they would work with a regular package of 12 dinner rolls too, you would just have to place them in a baking pan. The pull-aparts come in their own baking pan.

The equivalents below are for 2 pans of rolls. 


First, slice your rolls in half and remove the top. 




Place your sliced Swiss cheese on the bottom half of the rolls. I usually buy an 8 ounce package of Swiss slices and that is enough to makes two pans of these rolls. 





Place your sliced ham on top of the Swiss cheese. I buy a one pound package of ham and split it between two pans of rolls.





Next, in a saucepan on medium heat melt together 2 sticks of butter, 2 tsp. of Worcestershire sauce, 2 tsp. of mustard, and 4 tbsp. of diced onions.





After the mixture has melted, stir to combine. Brush butter mixture onto the top of the rolls your removed in step one.




After coating place the tops back onto the rolls and pour the remaining butter mixture over the tops and down into the sides of the pans.





Place in an oven on 350 degrees. Watch them closely. I have never been able to bake them for the recommended 25 minutes. They always get too brown. I usually pull them out around 15.





Serve warm. We usually just score them with a spatula and serve them right out of the baking pan.







Linking Up To


3 comments:

Erin said...

I will be trying these... definitely before my funeral LOL! Kind of like my favorite "Funeral Potatoes", I've even seen them at weddings they are so good LOL

Melissa @ thelittlegrayhouse said...

Erin,
I had to Google funeral potaotes. I think I've had those before and not at a funeral either. :)

Adriane said...

I've had these before. They are yummy. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
website-hit-counters.com
Provided by website-hit-counters.com hit counter site.